Does the thought of sipping a hot beverage or biting into an ice cream make you cringe?
For those who suffer from sensitive teeth the answer is a painful “yes”. It is not an uncommon symptom, but there are several possible causes, including:
- Worn tooth enamel from brushing too aggressively
- Hidden fractures in teeth are a major cause of tooth sensitivity, especially to cold things
- Tooth erosion from consuming highly acidic foods or beverages
- Cavities (tooth decay)
- Gum disease
- Receding gums leaving the root of your tooth exposed
- Worn fillings that leave the dentine of your tooth exposed
- Tooth bleaching/whitening treatments – too much of a good thing can hurt!
Luckily there are simple and effective treatments available, and your first port of call is your dentist. Here at Moss Vale Dental, Patrick and the team will conduct a thorough consultation and examination, and discuss our findings, and offer the best treatment options for your situation.
In the meantime, it is important to maintain good oral hygiene practices to help with managing your tooth sensitivity. Opt for desensitizing toothpastes, brush at least twice each day, do not brush within one hour of having anything acidic. Use a softer bristle toothbrush with a gentler motion and pressure. Don’t forget to floss!
If you are struggling with tooth sensitivity, please contact our highly experienced Dentists at Moss Vale Dental on (02) 4869 3111 for an appointment, so you can get back to enjoying your food and drinks sooner!