Experiencing a dry mouth?
Are you regularly experiencing a dry mouth feeling?
Essentially, the cause of a dry mouth comes down to a lack of saliva. Each and every one of us can experience a sensation of a dry mouth, but when this seems as though it is a consistent and regular experience for you, it’s a great idea to identify the issue and have it all under control.
Typical signs of a dry mouth include:
- Cracked and chapped lips
- Bad breath
- A dry feeling in the mouth and/or throat/or tongue
- Mouth sores
- The sensation of dryness on the tongue
Such experiences of a dry mouth can narrow down the glands which are responsible for producing saliva correctly. Which may be due to the intake of specific medication, cancer treatments, smoking, drug use or autoimmune disorders.
If you are someone who experiences the above, it’s a great idea to get advice from your doctor who can prescribe you with the correct medication for permanent relief and also your dentist for regular check-ups and regular cleaning, since such dryness can increase the likeliness of concerns such as gum disease or tooth decay.
Prevention can also aid in relief and can be done through simple changes such as:
- Reducing your intake of salty foods
- Chewing or sucking on sugarless lollies to stimulate the function of producing saliva
- Regularly incorporating oral care products to assisting in managing dryness
- Avoiding drinks with caffeine and alcohol
- Drink regularly throughout the day
- Using humidifies
Here at Moss Vale Dental, we’re dedicated to providing comprehensive care so you can maintain good oral. If you find that you are experiencing a concern or are worried about your oral health, call our professional and dedicated team at Moss Vale dental on 02 4869 3111.